• Welcome! Read this thread to learn more about the server and how you can join it.

Civil Protection: Comments & Compliments

Ulti

/observer
Staff member
Internal Affairs
Faction Leader
Donator
hdAasys.png

Civil Protection: Comments & Compliments Thread

We're here to listen to your thoughts, suggestions, and even compliments to refine our strategies for shaping Civil Protection in line with community desires.

Your comments may have any form of feedback, including constructive criticism. Feel free to engage in discussions by quoting another member's comment within the thread.

Your input is highly valuable. If you don't feel comfortable sharing your comments in this thread, you're always welcome to use the form below.

Anonymous Feedback Form

Femvey

Lancer
You mean more?
i mean less dont fucking teist my words SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

• Skull
Reactions: CJ

Aspect™

No breaks...
Staff member
Founder
Developer
Level Designer
i mean less dont fucking teist my words SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP
...so you want less cops who act like normal people? Can you elaborate?

aqua

Lancer
Staff member
Operator
should crack down on meme behavior a lot harder imo. if CPs are the supposed front face of the server, OOC nincompoop behavior or just having a stupid "must power game over all rebels" mindset should be booted.

it doesn't feel very immersive when your patrol buddy acts like a 14 year old. sure, "IC issue," but it makes you want to avoid even roleplaying with these people IC and OOC and when dispatch goes "normal cop and drooling idiot, interlock" you just wanna flag off and blow your scalp on the ceiling. anyone else feel the same?

make civil protection feel like civil protection again...
Post automatically merged:

oh yeah and there's the other end of the spectrum of edge type who likes to curse and are just mindlessly and needlessly antagonistic against every citizen they see. there's ways to to about portraying a bleak and dystopic atmosphere without UU.CmD walking up to you and going "Fucking citizen fucking pick up the fucking can you fucking bitch" like it's a Vivziepop flick.

i don't know which side hurts immersion more.

again, i guess one could chalk it up to "IC issue" but as i said, these people can be annoying to deal with OOC to the point where being a cop or interacting with the aforementioned cop types is just an unfun chore OOC

Last edited:

Smallfries

Lancer
Operator
Don't have many issues besides those that, sadly, seem endemic to all HL2RP communities thus far. As well, every cop interaction thus far I've had has been mutually respectful and without any issues.

However, two things come to mind. First, to be specific, during the now infamous hostage situation last week, the CP-captor confrontation had one cop say something along the lines of "we beat the shit out of people for sneezing, do you think we care if xyz?" Ignoring how strange and cringe distasteful or otherwise immersion breaking something like that is, it may speak to the general attitude that a lot of cops seem to have - that there is some sort of unironic disposition towards the kind of "dark and griddy" combine oppression that I really thought we as a community would try to get away from. Again, I haven't interacted with cops much, so maybe I'm wrong - but that leads in to my second issue.

That issue being, I haven't interacted with cops. I don't interact with cops, I don't know why I would interact with cops unless I need something from them - and not for a lack of want or trying. As far as I've seen (and I have mentioned this before publicly and privately), it seems like cops are entirely confined to their own little bubble of roleplay, segmented from doing anything interesting with the rest of the population. I quite often see cops talking about this or that cool thing or interesting RP they did with another cop - but it's disheartening to know as a citizen, I will quite literally never interact with or see that. Maybe do more stuff with citizens, build relationships between individuals, and - gasp - let cops have unique identities so they all don't OOCly look, act, and talk the same? May go a long way to making the server feel alive - as right now, it feels like half at any given point is just somewhere else entirely.

Culture

Professional Shotcopper
Operator
Quality Control
I have noticed that recently, some of the newer CP units or in general, the lower ranked ones tend to behave increasingly strict and robocop-y towards citizens. As if they were a super high rank or brainwashed, even. This, at least for me, really pisses me off, you shouldn't be portraying an incredible hardass when you just joined the force and earned your gun privileges. This will be sorted out ICly, and this is a message to the units that do so - sort yourself out. I recommend planning out your character first, and then using IC happenings to develop your character into whatever hardass you want after.

If anyone here does spot behaviour like this I encourage you to bring it to CP leadership if it bothers you. There isn't a way to distinguish ranks if you're not in the faction, and some cops might as well just act that way if they can afford it ICly. So what I would do is reach out to the unit in question, then bring it to CP leadership if more issues arise.

Aspect™

No breaks...
Staff member
Founder
Developer
Level Designer
I have noticed that recently, some of the newer CP units or in general, the lower ranked ones tend to behave increasingly strict towards citizens. As if they were a super high rank or something. This, at least for me, really pisses me off, you shouldn't be portraying an incredible hardass when you just joined the force and earned your gun privileges. This will be sorted out ICly, and this is a message to the units that do so - sort yourself out. I recommend planning out your character first, and then using IC happenings to develop your character into whatever hardass you want after.

If anyone here does spot behaviour like this I encourage you to bring it to CP leadership if it bothers you.
This is unfortunately an issue that has plagued HL2RP for over a decade, not just Lancer... I don't think it will ever fully go away, no matter how hard we try.

Turbi

Lancer
Donator
I generally think the problem goes deep in to the faction itself.

Say, someone aims to be a Civil Protection officer one day. Once they reach that, usually the role model in the case of general behavior is based on how they were treated as a Citizen by the Civil Protection. They assume, they have to be the Civil Protection of an earlier example situation, usually leading to robocop/desensitized behavior.

CJ

role-play police
Staff member
Senior Administrator
Faction Leader
Quality Control
Early Supporter
Donator
I generally think the problem goes deep in to the faction itself.

Say, someone aims to be a Civil Protection officer one day. Once they reach that, usually the role model in the case of general behavior is based on how they were treated as a Citizen by the Civil Protection. They assume, they have to be the Civil Protection of an earlier example situation, usually leading to robocop/desensitized behavior.
I see what you're saying but that is unfortunately not the case. I speak from experience when I say that Command, while they do hold influence, isn't the issue when it comes to this. It is a portrayal issue on the individuals part, you're all encouraged to report these individuals should you come across them.

If anyone here does spot behaviour like this I encourage you to bring it to CP leadership if it bothers you.

I see what you're saying but that is unfortunately not the case. I speak from experience when I say that Command, while they do hold influence, isn't the issue when it comes to this. It is a portrayal issue on the individuals part, you're all encouraged to report these individuals should you come across them.

Re: Reporting - when it comes to "portrayal issues" the best thing to do is to lead by example. If you personally play a CP character that exhibits the traits you want to see from more cops & do it well, the others will notice and (especially if you outrank them) will start taking inspiration from you - particularly the citizens you leave an impression on may go on to become the very "good CPs" you seek

Just thought I'd throw that out there based on the tone/phrasing of some of these posts. I like the enthusiasm, but creativity is not something you can drill into people with a few private conversations. The best you can do is show the way, often nonverbally.

Explicitly sour interactions are another issue entirely though, those should definitely be cracked down on.

Last edited:

Smallfries

Lancer
Operator
Re: Reporting - when it comes to "portrayal issues" the best thing to do is to lead by example. If you personally play a CP character that exhibits the traits you want to see from more cops & do it well, the others will notice and (especially if you outrank them) will start taking inspiration from you - particularly the ciitzens you leave an impression on may go on to become the very "good CPs" you seek

Just thought I'd throw that out there based on the tone/phrasing of some of these posts. I like the enthusiasm, but creativity is not something you can drill into people with a few private conversations. The best you can do is show the way, often nonverbally.

Explicitly sour interactions are another issue entirely though, those should definitely be cracked down on.
While I agree - if cop leads/management/players want my personal advice/opinion on how to best do this, I think a fun, interesting, and healthy way to change the appearance/culture of the faction is to herald in - even if very slowly - changes to how the faction operates or acts based on response to IC events.

That token riot last month? Cops could've joined it and helped overthrow the Governor, or they could've better peacefully resolved the situation if they had made relationships with individuals within the binders and either knew beforehand it would happen or otherwise were close enough to members so that they could diplomatically work out a resolution.

Toussant's Kidnapping? Like above, perhaps this could be a watershed moment as some of the higher ups realize that things are starting to collapse around them, and either they stand up to take action to preserve the old order, or they jump ship and side with the 'pro-combine' insurgents to take down the governor. Or perhaps those that have relations with rebels get in touch with their contacts and find out where Toussant is, to either negotiate directly with rebels or stage an operation to quickly and bloodlessly extract him

These things would require effort and a dedication to not simply resorting to pro combine anti rebel violence the moment said opportunity presents itself, would not be instantaneous, and perhaps would not entirely fix the faction's issues. But I do believe they would help, and slowly changing the beliefs of members of the CP faction through on-server events, and as a result their ooc attitudes towards how they play in the faction, could be a real benefit. I'm not specifically saying here to get political or start getting tons of informants and double crossing rebel spies (which has its own set of problems), but interacting with citizens, rebels, and the COB is really what cops need to start doing in some way if things are gonna stay interesting and dynamic.

smallfries rant over thanks for listening

Dr. Ternith Plague

Lancer
Donator
While I agree - if cop leads/management/players want my personal advice/opinion on how to best do this, I think a fun, interesting, and healthy way to change the appearance/culture of the faction is to herald in - even if very slowly - changes to how the faction operates or acts based on response to IC events.

That token riot last month? Cops could've joined it and helped overthrow the Governor, or they could've better peacefully resolved the situation if they had made relationships with individuals within the binders and either knew beforehand it would happen or otherwise were close enough to members so that they could diplomatically work out a resolution.

Toussant's Kidnapping? Like above, perhaps this could be a watershed moment as some of the higher ups realize that things are starting to collapse around them, and either they stand up to take action to preserve the old order, or they jump ship and side with the 'pro-combine' insurgents to take down the governor. Or perhaps those that have relations with rebels get in touch with their contacts and find out where Toussant is, to either negotiate directly with rebels or stage an operation to quickly and bloodlessly extract him

These things would require effort and a dedication to not simply resorting to pro combine anti rebel violence the moment said opportunity presents itself, would not be instantaneous, and perhaps would not entirely fix the faction's issues. But I do believe they would help, and slowly changing the beliefs of members of the CP faction through on-server events, and as a result their ooc attitudes towards how they play in the faction, could be a real benefit. I'm not specifically saying here to get political or start getting tons of informants and double crossing rebel spies (which has its own set of problems), but interacting with citizens, rebels, and the COB is really what cops need to start doing in some way if things are gonna stay interesting and dynamic.

smallfries rant over thanks for listening
I feel like CPs interacting a lot more with citizens, gov't officials (you know, the people they're meant to guard and protect), and known Non-Collaborators (to an extent) would be a good idea. Now, not all of it can be done - for example, if Dispatch finds out you've been colluding with Rebels, it's game over for your char's CP career. But having these kinds of interactions and bonds would be interesting to see where it would take one's RP.

For example, would the hard-line upper brass see the issues caused by the current governance, and conduct a forced removal and replacement? Or would they, despite knowing the consequences of doing so, brutally suppress the riots in the ideal of preserving socio-stability. Both lead to the same ending, but with different consequences.

Tl;dr: More CP/Civ interactions if at all possible. If not to develop bonds, possibly to milk and extract information from casual conversation started by a citizen or an Officer themselves.

Honestly there should be character authorizations for CP players, that want to be more mentally unstable and such. I personally think it adds false immersion to other players and it's always been my opinion that roleplaying a CP unit is more like a trusted job for you to invest your quality roleplay for others in order to create an immersive world to the civilian players. And having edgy, unstable CP characters really makes it weird for people in my opinion.

As this server requests cops to be oppresive and authoritarian, trying to suddenly be more talkative and friendly towards civilian characters completely ruins the immersion in my opinion. I mostly believe that people shouldn't invest TOO much into their CP characters's personal agendas and emotional breakdowns. I've had moments, not always but there are some few moments where I've felt squished between units that act like 10 year olds due to their IC background and character arc.. which is fine as everyone has that right, but I want civil protection roleplayers to remember that - THEY are not the main characters, they are just authoritarian (Authoritarian not because it's edging their balls, but because it's your job to question people's motives!) The more crime related individuals you find and take down the more Sterilised Credits you receive, the closer you are to more food. And most CP's should remember that the their hidden motive for joining Civil Protection is because you're taking care of a family, the more childish they act the higher the chances that their given family suffers. The more professional and cohesive they act the better their family lives, that should be their hidden motive ICly.

In my final request to all CP roleplayers there, please stop acting like the main characters - YA NOT.

• Speaking